Why The Box Office Is Important For Screenwriters And Filmmakers
Stories written for the screen are either High Concept Or Low Concept;
High Concept stories are plot-oriented, event driven, foreground or plot-intensive concept. This is often action or adventure stories (The 5th Wave, Terminator, Lethal Weapon, Indiana Jones, Star Wars) that often develop into a series, employ stars, special and visual effects, and high production values.
Low Concept Stories are character-intensive, background story where the main character becomes more personal and the story focuses on the interior life of the character. This is often the personal interest story. (The Danish Girl, Forrest Gump, Mr. Holmes, Irrational Man, Life ). It is often referred to as Art Films.
A high concept film like Titanic is both event driven and character driven and remained at number one at the box office for years in most countries worldwide.
High Concept films are more commercial and will usually end up at the Commercial Box Office in South Africa, or if its Low Concept, it will find its home at the Nouveau box office.
Films that people pay to see will end up at either box office of both, and clearly reveals what genre is most popular.
This is not just a gimmick, film audiences are discerning and know what they want to see.
Even if you look at the International Box Office you will clearly identify High and Low Concept Films.
South African Box Office Top 10 (20 – 22 October, 2017)
* New Release (Date of Release)
- Geostorm * (20/10/17)
- Boo 2! A Madea Halloween * (20/10/17)
- The Emoji Movie (22/9/17)
- Kingsman: The Golden Circle (06/10/17)
- Mountain Between Us * (20/10/17)
- Blade Runner 2049 (06/10/17)
- Snowman * (20/10/17)
- LEGO Ninjago movie * (06/10/17)
- IT (15/9/17)
- Happy Death Day * (20/10/17)
The film in the Top 10 with the highest LTD GBO (life to date gross office) is IT (15/9/17) with R19 586 367
Cinema Nouveau Box Office – (20- 22 October, 2017)
- Victoria and Abdul (22/9/17)
- The Last Word * (20/10/17)
- Andre Rieu Maastricht 2017 *
- Inconvenient Truth 2: Truth to power
- Stronger (22/9/17)
- The Glass Castle (8/9/17)
- Good Time
- The Exception (15/9/17)
- Maudie (25/8/17)
- Woodwind (Cape Town International Festival)