The Write Journey weekend workshop for writers takes place on 24 & 25 February 2024 in Johannesburg. It will take you from inspiration to writing the first pages of your novel, screenplay, or stageplay.
What you will learn in this workshop
- You will turn the narrative in your head into action.
- You will take an interactive, intimate, and introspective journey into the world of the story.
- It will empower you to take ownership of the creative journey, and creative expression.
- How to turn ideas into a success story while learning about yourself in the process.
Who is the workshop aimed at
- Experienced writers who are unsure of what they are writing
- Writers who need discipline and motivation
- Writers who find the story they are writing dull and lifeless.
- Ideal for novelists, screenwriters and playwrights
- Anyone who has a story to unleash
Goals and Objectives
- How to write Your First Draft
- How to develop an idea into a story
- To lay the foundation of your story
- To define and develop your characters
- To structure and plot your story
- To understand the process of writing your story
- To write the first pages of your screenplay/novel / stageplay
What does the workshop involve?
- It takes place on Saturday 24 February, and Sunday 25 February from 9am until 5pm.
- On Day one you will look at Who are you as a storyteller, what it takes to be a writer, the process of writing a story from start to first pages, what type of story you are writing, who you are writing for, how to make the most of your idea.
- On Day Two you will look at how to create and bring characters to life, how to structure & plot your story, outline your story, and how to take ownership of your story
- There’s a Q & A after each session
- You will then write the first 10 pages of your screenplay/ novel and submit it to your coach for evaluation before you continue writing your first draft.
- All you need for the workshop is a notebook, pencil, and your IMAGINATION!
- Send us an email for the full agenda, costs and registration details
Dirk Lombard Fourie will facilitate the workshop in Johannesburg.
He received his Honours Diploma in Film and Television Production Techniques at the City Varsity Multimedia School in Cape Town. Between 2002 and 2007 he facilitated workshops in screenwriting and directing, through the Writing Studio, at the SABC branches in Cape Town, Bloemfontein and Johannesburg. In 2007 his short film, In God’s Country, won the highly acclaimed Jury Prize for Best Newcomer at the 65th Annual Apollo Film Festival in Victoria West, South Africa. In the same year, it also received awards for Best Screenplay (as co-writer with Daniel Dercksen), Best Director and Best Film at the Shortz Film Festival in Cape Town.
The Writing Studio’s workshop in Johannesburg on 25 /26 November took aspirant writers Alta Linstrom (from Tshwane) and Dr Dimakatso Maboea from Soweto through the write paces with guidance from facilitator Dirk Fourie.
Our Write Journey weekend workshop in Johannesburg went extremely well, with Dirk Fourie taking Jordyn Lee Bird and Tessa Strydom through the paces of writing their novels. “I absolutely loved the workshop (5 stars),” says Jordyn (left). Says Tessa: “I enjoyed the workshop, I found it to be informative and it has certainly given me a lot to think about as I continue this journey. I would like to continue working with The Writing Studio to get guidance and assistance as I complete my work.”
The Benefits Of Workshops For Writers
Criticism can be hard to take, but it’s a major step in the creative process. Genuine constructive criticism can really improve your work. Missed a step during your writing process? The coach will let you know. Another workshopper will help you. Having a fresh pair of eyes can make the end result of your story as close to perfect as possible. Feedback can be difficult to make, but it is a big step in the process for writers in building a career. Sincere, constructive criticism arising from attending a workshop will improve your work as a professional.
Hands-on help and receiving recommendations
In our workshops, coach Daniel Dercksen encourages questions and will give you an answer right then and there. Then, if you would like more help or have more questions, he will be happy to help you after the workshop with one-on-one correspondence via email. The Writing Studio also offers an exclusive Retreat for Writers in the Karoo.
New Ways of Thinking
Nobody shares the same worldview, and their interpretation of something could be drastically different from yours. Fellow workshoppers may offer a startling unique view of your story than what you see it as. Being exposed to new points of view can offer new insight and ideas.
Everyone does not have the same view of the world, and their understanding of something may differ dramatically from yours. Attending a workshop serves just this. You can get a remarkably unique or new perspective altogether from other attendees. Sometimes you can even create something awesome in your career by asking for their thoughts or input on something you might not even know or have heard of. To grow, we must be open to new ideas, new ways of doing things, or new ways of thinking. It is rightly said that you must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be!
Opportunities for Networking
Building new relationships and meeting new connections are important to personal growth. A workshop gives you the best opportunity to meet other people who share your interests. It is always a pleasure to meet someone with the same enthusiasm that you do. Attending a workshop is a great way to meet other people in your area with shared interests. You will at least be able to find a friend and somebody who knows your “talk shop,” as it were i.e. to discuss matters concerning your work etc.
Make New Friends
A workshop gives you a chance to meet other people who share your interests and have the same passion and enthusiasm as you do! Finding someone with the same passion as you is always a treat. Workshops are a terrific way to meet other people with shared interests in your area. You’ll be able to find a colleague and someone who understands your “shop talk,” as it were.
Developing New Prowess
Attending a workshop is like gifting yourself a new possibility to learn something new from peers who have better experience and knowledge to share with you a new bee into the world of professionals. Since the publishing and producing environments are very competitive and to survive one must attend as many workshops as possible to stay tuned to it or to stay ahead of the competition.
Motivation to Work
Being part of a workshop is great for providing motivation as it’s a promise someone else will view your work. It helps to fight creative block. When you have an audience, you’re more driven to complete your project. Being part of a workshop is great for providing such motivation as it’s a promise someone else will view or listen to your work.
The intimacy of The Writing Studio’s workshop is not crowded and fosters a relaxed one-on-one environment where you can learn something new and hear new ideas that can help you with the crafting of your story. It ties in with the different points of view, to some extent, as others may have more experience with the skill or topic in question.
It can be difficult to get your work out there without an agent of some kind. Workshops can help you gain exposure by introducing new ways to publish or otherwise showcase your writing. Your fellow attendees may also have opportunities to share with the group, making it especially worthwhile to bond with others.
Most importantly, workshops are meant for growth and enjoyment. Even if you find your work not improving drastically, you may still have a valuable time attending. Most significantly, the workshop is intended for development and enjoyment. Even if you think your craft is not dramatically changing, When you are happy, your productivity, creativity, and innovation improve dramatically. A brighter mood means better content, and isn’t that the goal of a workshop to begin with?
After finishing a workshop, you will feel more confident because you have just listened to an expert expressing his passion for what he loves, along with learning new tips and tricks to help you succeed!