- This event has passed.
The Write Journey at the Indie Karoo Film Festival
29 June 2016 @ 10:00 - 1 July 2016 @ 15:00
The Writing Studio will present an exclusive workshop for screenwriters at the Indie Karoo Film Festival that takes place from June 29 to July 2 in Prince Albert, the Jewel of the Great Karoo. Read more about the Indie Karoo Film Festival
The workshop takes place at The Showroom Theatre
Wednesday, June 29 from 10am until 12noon
Who are you as a storyteller and storymaker?
- Introduction and overview
- What does it take to be a screenwriter in South Africa
- Owning the writing process from start to first draft: The writing process versus the film process
- Exploring the world of film and learning how to read a film
Thursday, June 30 from 10am until 12noon
What do you want to write?
Let’s take a closer look at what you want to write about. The Write Journey begins with that perpetual question: What is it you want to write? What is this idea that you want to develop into a story? You will define your premise and concept and map your journey from premise to final draft.
- Explore your idea to its maximum dramatic, comedic or tragic potential
- Criteria for a great idea
- Knowing who to write for: understanding your audience
- Genre and genre conventions
- Exploring the art of adaptation: how to adapt novels and stageplays
- Exploring theme and thematic purpose
- Learn how to dramatise your idea
- Mastering the art of writing high concept
Thursday, June 30 from 3pm until 5pm
Who are you writing about?
- Identify who the people in your story are
- Who is your story about?
- Who opposes or supports your main character on his or her respective journey?
- Examine the relationship between the writer and the characters
- Explore elements to bring these characters to life
- Exploring the visual dynamics of character
- The art of writing character biographies
- Dialogue is not conversation!
Friday, July 1 from 10am until 12noon
How to plot and write your story
- Structure and discipline; ordering chaos
- Looking at the difference between story and plot
- Understanding the relationship between structure and the screenplay
- Understanding the important relationship between character and plot
- Mastering the art of classical design and plotting the dramatic action
- Identifying the story events and story value that make up the story
- Understanding the importance of turning points
- 14 structural points to pull your story into a cohesive whole
- Making sense of your story and writing a story outline
- Writing your screenplay from 1st draft to final draft
- The art of format
The cost of the workshop is R800, with a discounted rate 0f R600 for students, scholars and pensioners. It excludes all drinks, snack and food purchased at the festival, which is for your own account.
Daniel Dercksen, the driving force behind the successful independent training initiative The Writing Studio, has been a published film and theatre journalist for 30 years and has been teaching workshops in creative writing, playwriting and screenwriting throughout South Africa the past 19 years.
Note: Following the workshop you will write the first 10 pages of your screenplay and send it to Daniel Dercksen for evaluation.