The Write Journey is an interactive, intimate, and introspective journey into the world of the story, empowering writers to take ownership of the creative journey and creative expression.
Following in the tradition of 24 years of extensive workshops throughout South Africa, and courses internationally, The Write Journey is an interactive course for writers who would like to write a screenplay for a feature film or television and is ideal for novelists, screenwriters (for films and TV) and playwrights.
The Write Journey turns the voice in your head into an actual narrative. It’s uniquely two courses blended into one, turning ideas into a successful story while learning about yourself in the process.
It takes you from inspiration, to fully develop your idea, characters and plotting, to mastering the craft of visual narrative, culminating in writing your first pages.
The Write Journey has shaped the successful careers of many of South Africa’s leading filmmakers and storytellers and is now honing the skills of future writers in the art and craft of storytelling. Read more
- Once the foundation is set with The Write Journey, our advanced The Write Draft course takes writers through the process of writing the first draft or rewrite their screenplay novel / stageplay. Working closely with a mentor, it explores the editing and refinement of the complete draft, getting the screenplay ready for the marketplace. Send us an email for more information on The Write Draft course
If you want to write a story, The Write Journey is your first step in the write direction.
Who is the course aimed at
- Ideal for Screenwriters (writing for film of TV), Novelists and Playwrights
- Experienced writers who are lost in the process of writing their story and need motivation
- Writers who need discipline
- Writers who need the guidance of a mentor
Goals and Objectives
- To lay the foundation of your story
- To craft a story from inspiration to writing the first pages of your story
- To define and develop characters
- To structure and plot your story
- Mastering the art of outlining your story
- Taking ownership of your story
- Writing a story that is ready for the marketplace
- Free evaluation of the first 10 pages of your story
What does the course involve?
- There are 12 Units in the course, and each unit has Self-Tasks that you must research and complete in your own time
- Tasks that you must submit to your mentor to make sure that you are on the right track – during this process, your mentor is there to help you understand the material and solve problems.
What you need to have for this course
- Access to the Internet
- The course is done online, via email correspondence, offering a one-on-one interaction with your mentor
- Your imagination
- Space to create
Following 40 years as a Film and Theatre Journalist, and 23 years of screenwriting and creative writing workshops throughout South Africa and internationally, The Write Journey evolved into the Signature course of The Writing Studio, and Independent Training Initiative founded by Daniel Dercksen in 1998.